SHAPE Director, Johanna DeBari, Leaving Wesleyan – Options for Care and Support

Hi Everyone,

I hope this note finds y’all well and enjoying your day.

I’m writing to share some bittersweet news – I am leaving Wesleyan for a new position. My last day will be Wednesday, May 25th.

I have greatly appreciated my time being a part of such a caring community at Wesleyan. Thank you to the students who have trusted me with your experiences – I am honored to have worked with you and watched you find your own power, along your healing journeys.

Thank you to the colleagues who have supported me and held space for me over the years – holding space for trauma is “heart-work”, and I could not have done it without the support and care of loving colleagues who helped ease the heaviness when my heart felt full.

I will miss Wesleyan and am grateful for the opportunities I had here.

I wish y’all all the best and hope everyone has a restful, restorative summer break.

Warmly,
Johanna

In the event that folks are looking for resources for care and support, below are some options while the SHAPE Office Director position is vacant.

If this is an emergency and you would like to speak to someone immediately, please contact Public Safety at 860-685-3333 or dial 911.

If you would like to explore options for care and support, please connect with Debbie Colucci, Title IX coordinator, in the Office for Equity and Inclusion dcolucci@wesleyan.edu (for questions about academic accommodations, residential accommodations, mutual no contact agreement, or reporting experiences of harm).

In addition, here are some other options for care and support to consider if you’d like a more immediate response.
Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) Please contact the CAPS On-Call Therapist for crisis support for you, a friend, or a student you work with, call 860-685-2910

Women & Families Center (located in Meriden & Middletown, serving greater Middletown area) Off-campus, local rape crisis center for folks who have experienced, (or know others who have experienced) sexual violence. 24/7 Hotline (free, confidential, staffed by a Certified Rape Crisis Counselors/Advocates): En Español, 1-888-568-8332; English, 1-888-999-5545
For more information, here is their website: https://womenfamilies.org/sexual-assault-center/

New Horizons (Middletown) Off-campus, local domestic/dating violence crisis center for folks who have experienced (or know others who have experienced) dating violence, unhealthy relationships, or stalking
24/7 hotline to connect with New Horizons’ Certified Domestic Violence Counselors/Advocates
English: 1-888-774-2900
En Español: 1-844-831-9200
For more information, here is their website: https://www.newhorizonsdv.com/get-help/

SafeConnect (Connecticut)
A statewide resource for accessing advocacy services for folks who have experienced (or know others who have experienced) dating violence, unhealthy relationships, or stalking.
Has 24/7 hotline with text, chat, and call options
Call: 1-888-774-2900
Support is available in many different languages in accessing these services
For more information, please see their website: www.ctcadv.org/find-help/safe-connect